Collection of Furniture, the largest and most complete of its kind in Croatia, by having nearly 2000 items from Gothic to contemporary design represents the backbone of the museological concept of the permanent exhibition (1995).
Secular furniture of domestic and most foreign origin (Austria, Germany, Italy, France, England…) collected and used mainly in our area bears witness to the high culture of living of the noble and middle-class families in Croatia in the past centuries.
Only several items of the Gothic style are preserved, but already on the material from the period of Renaissance the typological development of furniture can be traced (chest, chair, armchair, table, dressoir, studiolo cabinet…)
From the rich and baroque quality productions stands out the collection of cabinets, a specific type of furniture of the 17th century, but also representative cabinets, tabernacle-cabinets, furniture for seating of various provenance. The most representative pieces of furniture in the Rococo holdings are made in Venice and France.
From the period of Classicism more items are preserved which represent the real situation of production in Croatia, and accordingly domestic production is represented in greater number.
Apart from modest domestic variants of style, representative Empire furniture from the castle Opeka can be highlighted.
The collection keeps a large number of Biedermeier furniture. For the first time in the history of furniture design in Croatia, local craftsmen-carpenters dominate, which is reflected in the holdings. A valuable example is the signed and dated wardrobe masterpiece from Varaždin made by Antun Goger in 1833, drawing room set attributed to him, exhibited in the permanent collection, and Miroslav Eisenhuth’s furniture.
In the second half of the 19th century historical styles simultaneously intertwine, which is illustrated by several drawing room suites, dining rooms, bedrooms and single items, of either industrial or manual production. A collection of replicas of Gothic and Renaissance furniture is one of the earliest acquisitions for this collection from the late 19th century, in accordance with the character of the Museum and the acquisition policy of the time. At this time develops the activity of the Crafts School as well.
The museum’s Art Nouveau furniture presents both variants of this style – floral and geometric – and this with quality furniture designed by the famous foreign (H. van de Velde, J. Hoffmann, J.M. Olbrich) and local architects (V. Kovačić, I. Fischer … ). While the period between the wars, as a sum of different stylistic tendencies unified under the term Art Déco, is represented by a relatively small number of items of which stands out, for example, the chair manufactured in the Crafts School in Zagreb, according to the draft of Srećko Sabljak and exhibited at the International Exhibition in Paris in 1937, contemporary material is made of supreme achievements of foreign (Le Corbusier, A. Aalto, O. Mourgue…) and Croatian designers (B. Bernardi, V. Richter, R. Nikšić, B. Murković, Z. Marohnić …) .